Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Higher Education Needed

I've had to write something after I read this idiotic piece in the Boston Globe.

Firstly, it is a very easy and old meme to rant about liberalism in higher education. It detracts from actual debate and questions the debater's patriotism - thus impeding any fruitful discussion. I feel like I can speak about this topic because I have been to college (BA and MBA soon). I worked at a college for 4 years. Plus, both my parents are professors. I will not deny the fact that SOME professors choose the classroom to grind their own political axes but that behavior is not common. When you boil it down, faculty care about educating young minds, tenure, getting published, and departmental politics.

So, this college-educated gal asks, "What is the connection between 9/11 and Mohammad Khatami speaking at Harvard?" To answer that question, I'll have to dumb myself down. Well, Khatami is an A-rab. A-rabs attacked us on 9/11. Khatami is a Muslim. Muslims attacked us on 9/11. That's the only connection I can come up with.

Yes, allowing him to speak at Harvard was very controversial given his Human Rights record as president of Iran. The thing about higher education is that we're taught to listen to different perspectives and a variety of viewpoints. The rest of the article is basically rambling. Yes, Harvard supports women and homosexual's rights and Islam doesn't. One university's actions won't force American women into wearing Burkhas! Not content with accusing Harvard of handing America over the "jihadists", this author also throws in a lovely accusation of anti-semitism against two faculty members.

No comments: