Thursday, October 26, 2006

Coaching for Leadership

Tonight my Leadership class is cancelled and replaced by 6 hours of leadership coaching for undergraduate students. About 130 students are in this program and they are Juniors. So, that means they are 20/21 years old, born in 1986/1985. That means they have no memory of the Challenger and the first president they could remember is Clinton. I have 10 cousins this age or younger so I'm pretty confident that I can speak effectively to this generation.

I don't mind being required to participate in this program. What I do mind is the fact that when signing up for my Leadership course, the registrar never stated this time requirement plus another day of training. I gave up a Saturday for coaching training a couple weeks ago. Some of my classmates had to take a vacation day to attend training during the week because they couldn't make the weekend training. We had no idea what we were signing up for when we registered for this class. Within a week, I'll have to write a paper on my leadership coaching experience. Within two weeks, my group presentation is due. In 5 weeks my group project paper is due and then I will be done with this course.

I hate this course so much, I am already composing what I will be writing on the student opinion survey. On the scale of 1 to 5, I will give it all 1's and in the written comment part I will talk about how the professor is just phoning it in for a paycheck and how after 3 years in the program, this is the most worthless course I have taken. What kills me is that this course could have been kick ass if it had been taught by another professor who, you know, TEACHES.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This may cheer you up - from the book of the same name "Coaching for Leadership" 2e; contains Chokmah (hopefully) and Chutapah (definitely)

http://www.lslyons.com/
Lyons_Accomplished_Leader.pdf


Dr. Larry Lyons