Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Jewish for the Holidays

As I considered the implications of converting, I thought the Xmas thing would be a no-brainer. My family celebrated the holiday sans Christ. We had the tree, no church, and gift opening on Christmas Eve. There wasn't much tradition in our celebration.

I am missing the oddest things about the holiday. I love Christmas carols, especially sung by John Denver or the muppets. The small white lights and tinsel are missed as well. It's so weird walking down the main aisle of CVS feeling like an alien until I see the bin of 99 cent gold coins. It also feels like I am wearing glasses that allow me to see how Xmas saturated the world is. I'm starting to understand how growing up in this kind of environment can help breed self-deprecating humor and/or brilliant psychologists.

My holiday celebration this year won't be any different except that my gifts might be wrapped in Chanukah paper or I will be getting a menorah as a gift. I'm going to use this year to test out how to celebrate the holidays. Also, "War on Christmas" my ass...

1 comment:

Sarah said...

if it is Chanukah you seek, you HAVE to go to Just Next Door in Auburndale (on Auburndale Ave, off Lexington which is what Moody turns into if you go towards Newton). Oh My God. I was there yesterday and their Jewish Holiday section is amazing. They even have a giant blow up dreidle. You know you want in on that!!