Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Cat Commitment

After research and thinking, I decided that I am willing to pay for a certain breed, maine coon. With that decision made, I searched petfinder and found the maine coon pickings are slim. So, I started searching local catteries. I found the perfect one and when I contacted them, they gave me a plethora of information quickly.

They will be breeding one cat this summer and I am on the waiting list for a male from the litter. They will only give him to me after he's 12 weeks old (which makes sense: socialization and litter training). But I can visit him in the interim. By my calculations, I should have my own kitten by November 2007.

What's so great about Maine coons? First off, Max was a Maine coon. So I know they are good, long-lived indoor cats. The Maine coon personality is completely infectious and heartwarming. Whether they're licking your ear as they lie on the back of the sofa or play fighting with your feet, they are happy lovable beings. I think it's because they have so much fur, it makes them jolly. They aren't necessarily too bright but they are excellent human mimics. Max could open doors but couldn't grasp that if it was raining outside, every door in the house would open out to rain. Max used to love tunneling in comforters and lying on my head while I was sleeping. I won't just be getting a pet, I will be getting a roomate with a Maine coon.

No comments: