Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Typical Tae Kwon Do Class




I takes classes Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Tues & Thurs are at 6:30PM and Sat is 9:30AM. This is what we did last night:

- There were 16 people in class so we warmed up by playing dodge ball. The first game, I lasted pretty long but the second game Sabunim pointed at me and completely nailed me with a ball.

- After warm up, we paired up with kicking pads. The task was to do a front roundhouse left then right and two jumping jacks as fast as you can in good form.

- The next task was 1 front roundhouse (left), turn around, 2 front roundhouse (right), turn around, 1 front roundhouse (left), and two jumping jacks. I really had to work on this one because I don't do my turning correctly. I'm supposed to turn mid-air but I basically take a million tiny steps to turn. With help from an instructor, I got the turn correct at the end.

- A whistle was involved in the next task. One toot, front kick, two toots back roundhouse, three toots a flutter, and four toots jumping jacks. A flutter is like a mini can can kicking a pad. This task completely wiped me out and I was dripping afterwards.

- We got punching shield pads and went through a new task. No whistle this time. 1 was a side kick, 2 was a back roundhouse, 3 was a flutter, and 4 was jumping jacks. A side kick is really easy - it's kicking with your heel to the side. I have trouble kicking with my heel on my left side which was annoying and frustrating. Hence the many bruises on my left foot.

- We ended the evening playing Sabunim Says. It's like Simon says but with tae kwon do moves.

No comments: