Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Weighty Matters

Today, I found out a way to break a weight-loss plateau: have a 5 day stomach bug. I don't know if it's food poisoning or the norovirus but me and my tummy have been miserable lately. It gave me a happy weigh-in day at least!

I'm doing research for a paper for my marketing class by reading this book Culture Code by Clotaire Rapaille. It has been a pretty interesting (easy) read so far. The concept is that each culture has a code for certain things and experiences. The author was a psychoanalyst until he started getting hired by Fortune 500 companies to conduct research. His insights into American culture code seem pretty spot on for me so far. Doctor = hero, nurse = mother, hospital = meat factory, car = freedom, and toilet paper = independence. One chapter that focused on health was particularly eye opening to me. According to him, health = motion. Makes sense to me. Being overweight = checking out. Yeah, I had to re-read that part. Checking out of what? I thought that he was trying to say that every overweight person is suicidal. He wasn't. Checking out meant getting out from under expectations and pressure. Being disconnected.

Since I have been battling my weight all my life, this gave me a lot to think about. It kind of explains the despair I feel seeing a fat happy couple. It's easier to believe that I'm single because of the way I look. It can get my outrage up thinking, "Stupid men expecting Jessica Albas everywhere and not caring about personality/spirit." Maybe being overweight is my way of getting out of a rat race that I feel doomed to lose? Maybe being overweight is the last relic from all the years of self-hatred and insecurity? Maybe it's time for my outsides to match my insides. FINALLY!

No comments: