Friday, April 20, 2007

Lingering Bad Voodoo

I tend to be pretty superstitious and see patterns where there really aren't any. So, karmically, I got my butt kicked this morning from the Wendy's idiocy from last night. I'm humbler and more wary now.

This morning, I started working on an invoice and realized that the carbon slips I told the receptionist to throw out actually are needed to reconcile the invoice. Oops. I sent an email to the receptionist asking for info on the invoice. She called me basically to say that she was right and I was wrong. Which I knew but didn't really help me with the invoice, so I was snippy with her. I thanked her cheerily at the end of the call but she had already hung up.

Confused and concerned, I walked up to the reception desk and as I approached I heard her complaining about me to two other co-workers. The look on her face when I popped up and innocently asked, "Oh, were you talking about me?" was priceless. We had a chat about the invoice where she claimed I yelled at her. I denied that so she downgraded it to snippiness. I apologized just in time for her to lob my favorite parting shot "You're not just snippy with me. Others have noticed it." I asked her who but she clammed up.

This was my morning. So I wrote an official sounding apology email that politely requested that any problems she has with me should brought to the attention of our HR manager not discussed with co-workers. The response email from her was completely inappropriate and took un-necessary jabs at me personally. She wrote, "I'm not a smart college educated girl like you but..." It's nice to see the true colors of a supposed work friend.

I do admit, I can sometimes be snippy with people. But I have never received a complaint. In fact, in my performance review my boss told me that everyone loved working with me and having me here. Maybe the limitations of this job are wearing on me and I'm being rude to people? I don't know. But I really like this company and feel like I'm in a good groove. The problem is if you piss off the receptionist, you're screwed. As a contingency, I'm happy that I am looking for a new job now. In fact, I got a very promising response today from a company that I have been trying to get into for years.

No comments: