Monday, May 14, 2007

Grandma


This weekend my grandmother was rushed to South Shore hospital because she was having trouble breathing and was in pain. She was stabilized and put on a morphine IV. She was dying. Dying by inches. The entire family kept a bedside vigil this weekend. Her breathing started slowing down and then Sunday her face became waxen. When my family left Sunday night, her extremities were losing warmth. We thought she would pass last night but she is still hanging on even though her morphine is incredibly high. The plan is to have her wake Thursday and funeral Friday. Hopefully, she'll pass on today. I cannot express how wonderful the staff at South Shore hospital are. We crammed 19 people into my grandmother's room to say goodbye to her and the staff brought us food throughout the day. If I was a millionaire, I would endow an entire wing of that hospital and name it after my Grandma.

Lack of sleep, unhealthy food, and uncontrollable crying jags are keeping me home this entire week (as part of a bereavement leave). I have already said goodbye to Grandma last week but seeing all my aunts, uncles and cousins in so much pain was really upsetting. I had no idea I could cry myself nauseous. She was a great grandma and during most of our vigil we reminisced about her. Grandpa is hanging in there so far. Send us strength and courage to survive this week.


No comments: