Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorial Day Weekend


Nothing much happened. I slept in a lot, caught up on TiVo, got back into playing The Sims, and re-read "The Golden Compass" and "The Subtle Knife". My head and sinuses have been feeling awful because the pollen lately has been wicked. In the morning, my car is basically green from the yellow pollen coating it and the blue color of my car. Allegra save me!

Since the traditional TV season has ended, and a lot of shows are coming to cable this summer, my TiVo is getting a workout! This might sound weird but back in March I cancelled my Daily Show and Colbert Report season pass. It got to a point where all the episodes were stressing me out. It was like I had nightly TV homework. I was already stressing about my MBA homework so I jettisoned the season pass. Now, since I have so much free time, I'm back baby!

The Sims have been my summer past-time for a while. Since I got a new computer, my old neighborhoods and families are gone so I can start from scratch. I debated about making a Sims me since I wind up unhealthily attached to a computer game version of me. But I caved and made a Sim me. I also made a TV Ville neighborhood. I've got Heroes and Battlestar Galactica characters living there. The Petrelli brothers are raising Claire, Hiro and Ando are living together exuding HoYay. Baltar is still a bastard in my game. He cheated on Six with D'Anna and now Six won't give him the time of day. Sadly, my game Six has more self esteem than TV Six.

"The Golden Compass" is being turned into a movie so I thought I'd re-read the series. The trailer looks fabulous and I'm pleased with the casting. Every winter, I need a fantasy epic fix (I blame Peter Jackson). As I re-read the books, I remembered that "The Golden Compass" was my least favorite of the trilogy. The first half of the book, I was distracted with trying to figure out where the hell the story is taking place. Lyra was too much of a brat for me to like her. "The Subtle Knife" has clearer settings and I really like Will. Plus, Dust is finally explained. I was up until 5AM this morning finishing "The Subtle Knife". This has been my reading ritual all my life. If I start a book, I need to finish it within 24 hours. The only way I can put the book down is due to obligations from the real world. Basically, give me a good series to read I will become a hermit.

No comments: