Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Awesome TKD Class

Last night, I signed up for testing on the 27th. As I was signing up, a couple female upper level belts talked up sparring. It doesn't sound too scary and one showed me the sparring padding and helmet. If I do get my orange belt next week, maybe I'll check it out. Since I would be the lowest level belt in the class, there's no way I will "hulk out" because I won't be attacked too heavily. That makes me feel better. Plus, what is the point of learning all these kicks and blocks if I don't know how to use them realistically?

Since last night we had 18 people in class, we started off with a warm up game of dodgeball. Me and another guy were chosen for a team because both of us last long in the game. Finally last night my team won and I threw my first person out. One of my team-mates gave me a helpful tip, aim for the feet. Last night was completely insane and fierce with balls whizzing past my head. It was SO FUN!

Since testing is coming up, the rest of the class was spent reviewing test material. I learned 3 ways to break a choke hold and I went over hook kicks and shuffle roundhouse kicks. Monday, I had killed my left ankle on a hook kick when I wound up mis-aiming and hitting the kickpad handle. Last night I learned a way to aim better thanks to one of the instructors. Monday, before I wrecked my ankle, I actually got complimented on my shuffle roundhouse kicks! I think I'm good at those because they are like dance moves.

No comments: