Thursday, June 14, 2007

Party Throwing Headaches

This past year, I've thrown a bunch of parties at my place. Fun was had by all and after each party, I was on such a high I forgot the headaches of party throwing. Basically these headaches can be boiled down to two issues:

1. No one RSVPs anymore. I cannot tell you the amount of time and money I have wasted on party no shows. Back in Sept, I threw a murder mystery party where I assigned roles. One of the key roles went unfilled because a guest never told me he was not showing up. That role was filled by my teddy bear.

2. Guests decide to invite other people to the party. I'm lucky if the guest even RSVPs, so I get to open my door to A) someone who I didn't think was coming and B) a complete stranger. Which is creepy central since I'm opening up my home and live alone.

It's not fun how throwing a party build up all this bitterness and makes you swear that you'll never throw a party again. Yet, during the party every stressor evaporates which perpetuates the cycle of party throwing.

1 comment:

Dinner and a Murder said...

I own Dinner and a Murder Mystery Games & one thing I tell hosts is that they never assign a guest unless they confirm they are attending. Our Invitations insist on an rsvp & tell guests how important it is to actually be there if they confirm they are coming.

I throw some great parties and people know that if they say they are coming and do not show up (unless it is a very good reason), that they will not be invited back. Before I assign characters I will call anyone who has not yet provided rsvp. We have an online event management system that allows all that to also be done online. People like to take advantage of the convenience.

I agree with you about the uninvited guest scenario. I had that problem in the past. Some people lack manners or consideration. After the party I made sure the person that brought the guest knew how I felt about their rudeness. I explained it nicely & I was never rude to their guest. No one should just invite along company to another's home or party without consulting the host or person that lives there first.

Mary Lee