Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Tae Kwon Do Getting Better

Orange belt testing is Wednesday June 27 and I missed 3 weeks of classes in May so this month is crunch time. The only good thing about screwing up forms last week and costing my team points was that it scared me into brushing up on my forms (Il Jan).

Monday night's class was a doozy and I can still feel it in sore muscles. Warm up was jump rope and squats which didn't feel too intense but my leg muscles beg to differ. The class was small, only 7 people, so we ran through basic and Il Jan forms twice. I have the moves for Il Jan but not the crispness so I was asked to repeat the forms again alone in front of the class by count. This could be stressful but the black belt teaching class has been so supportive and helpful to me, I felt like I was safe. I messed up only twice and learned what to pay attention to. Then, we got into kicks. There are four new kicks I need to know for orange belt testing: shuffle roundhouse, side kick (back leg), hook kick and slide up hook kick. Shuffle roundhouse looks like a lame 90's dance move so whenever I do it, "Step by Step" is in my head. We did reps of 30 of each kick then we moved up the floor with each kick. By this point, I was dripping with sweat. We ended doing a V crunch for a minute.

My plan for next week is to attend Mon to Thurs and Sat forms class to get my stamina and forms ready for testing.

No comments: