Monday, November 12, 2007


Comics Come Home XIII was the 8th time I attended the show. I enjoy the show a lot more now since it's being held in Agganis Arena. The Orpheum sucked. Agganis is perfect and there's no bad seat in the house.

Getting into the city was a bit of an adventure. Commuter rail from Roslindale to Ruggles. Trying not to get stabbed by forgetting the name of "festivus" while waiting for the bus. Then walking up Comm Ave to Sunset Cantina. Margaritas were had and lots of cheesy bad for you Mexican food.

Then onto Agganis. The security pat down resembled a restroom line situation. The women's pat down lines were huge and the lone security pat down guy had no line. Our seats were pretty good but very narrow (narrower than I remembered). It was a joy to have armrests digging into my hips.

The comedians:
Denis Leary - as always, hilarious. A great MC and comedian. But did we really have to see Britney's cooter on the projection screen? Boy he cracked himself up on that. The scream that erupted from the audience was hilarious.
Joe Yannetty - I have never been on a cruise but I laughed at his cruise ship material
Mike Birbiglia - woohoo making fun of Catholics!
Pete Correale - a new comedian to the line-up. Pretty hysterical. Was able to sneak in a 9/11 joke that was actually funny!
Lenny Clarke - I love Lenny but his set was really uneven. I think it was due to the fact that no one could hear him because he held the mike around his belt and cracking jokes about immigration was pretty tired back when they were new.
Jim Norton - eh, offensive just to be offensive. A couple genuine chuckles.
Artie Lange - not a fan
Robert Kelly - brought the house down. I was dying laughing. Tears, hyperventilating, the whole works
Cracked Rappers - I think that's their name. They did two raps One about the "flap above the pussy." The second was introduced as something they like to rap about because they are really good at it. So, you're thinking sex, right? No. I am not kidding, it started, "1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10...." It was hysterical. Two white guys gangsta rapping numbers.

The show lasted about 2.5 hours. Our seats were pretty good but I wanted to punch the lady behind me. She had a really shrill Boston accented voice and was one of those audience members who feels the need to say, "It's funny because it's true." Wow, I'm glad she grasps the concept of humor! Also, they were almost fisticuffs in the balcony area which Agganis security responded to. That was more entertaining than Artie Lange's set so I enjoyed the drama.

No comments: