Wednesday, April 02, 2008

I Loathe Penelope Trunk

I was first introduced to her writing via the Universal Hub thanks to the outrage about her “recent” article about how women should have babies now because of infertility issues. I put recent in quotes because the article turned out to be recycled from years ago. Already due to the article’s subject matter, I had a low opinion of Ms. Trunk but, her cutting edge advice being years old and with absolutely no citations, she garnered my contempt.

She is one of those authors who think an idea is amazing just because they thought of it but ultimately her writing falls in the “No shit Sherlock” category. Just check out these article blurbs. Anything sound new or interesting? I don’t think so. By the way, the article dates aren’t accurate because I recognize some 2006 articles from the past couple weeks in the Globe. In her biography online, I find nothing that screams career expert to me. No company names are mentioned or positions. Volleyball gets a mention for some reason. Also, there is absolutely nothing about her education.

Hell, I think I can do her job better! I can write a bunch of opinion pieces on the business world with absolutely no citations, keep them in constant rotation ignoring the job landscape and get paid for it. I’m just waiting for her next revelatory piece about jumping on the dot com train and making millions.

No comments: