Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Trash Barrel Wars

I live in a 4 family apartment building and when I moved in, 6 years ago, I was told that I needed to buy my own trash barrel for curbside pickup. I did and yet no one else in the building has bought their own barrel. In fact, there are only 3 barrels out back (including mine). Also, my neighbors never bring their barrels out to the curb. It's like they believe in magical trash fairies. Sadly, my landlord enables their laziness and brings the barrels out front.

Now that I am a militant recycler, commingling trash has become an issue. Even though I have labeled my trash barrel with my apartment number, some asshole week after week plops his unsorted smelly trash in my barrel. Fed up, I typed up a note explaining that each apartment has their own barrel and I recycle etc. Also I included a map of where the nearest home depot is. I made 3 copies and put the note in my neighbor's mailboxes.

Within a day, I received an apology note. Luckily the lazy neighbor is moving and admitted that he simply didn't pay attention. Yet, yesterday I got a stronger reaction from another neighbor - a note saying how dare I accuse him, get my facts straight, blah, blah, blah. Obviously anger issues from the same guy who runs his AC 24x7. I can't wait until I move outta here.

No comments: