I don't know if it's because I'm a type A gal or that I have anxiety issues but there is something so soothing about making lists. And there is something incredibly satisfying about checking off stuff on lists. Since this is almost the end of the first decade of the 21st century, I feel obligated to make top 10 lists.
Top 10 Movies of the Decade
1) Donnie Darko - this hasn't budged from my top 10 ever since I first saw it. It's touching, creepy, funny, and depressing combined so it kicks ass.
2) Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - the absolute best romance movie ever. Plus, Jim Carrey is phenomenal.
3) The Lord of the Rings - I'm cheating a bit for making 3 movies share one slot.
4) I Heart Huckabees - I know a lot of people thought this movie was pretentious and awful but it is very subversive and wicked. Therein lies the comedy.
5) Man on Wire - this documentary is totally amazing and inspiring. Also, it was really touching to see how much the WTC meant to one man and then it hurts to realize what all of us have lost.
6) The New World - if you could make a movie from a poem, Terence Malick would be the director. Simply gorgeous and amazing perfomances all around.
7) Gangs of New York - an awesome history lesson wrapped in a sweeping drama.
8) Slumdog Millionaire - I did not know the answer to the Three Musketeer question so I was dying from suspense. Every actor from the little kids to the adult leads were perfection.
9) The Dark Knight - If you ignore the guy in the bat suit and the explosions, this is still an awesome movie. That is why it makes the list - it's great as an action flick and a drama. Also, I was completely on edge/uneasy with every Joker scene. He personified chaos completely.
10) Walk the Line - it made me laugh and cry. It was better than Cats (with better music). Loved the music, Reese and Joaquin were perfect.
Top 10 Books of the Decade
These are the top books I read this decade - not published.
1) Assassination Vacation I lent this book to someone and haven't gotten it back. So friends, please check your libraries and return my book. Thanks!
2) The Fourth Turning I read this way back in 2002 so back then I understood the whole Gen X/ Y thing with helicopter parents. Thank you world for catching up!
3) Mother Tongue a very cool history of the English language
4) Harry Potter series I loved the magic and the anticipation. I'm sad that it's all over.
5) French Women Don't Get Fat Lots of great recipes and ideas on eating healthy
6)The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century This book helped me kick ass in my economics course and I got to say I told you so a lot lately.
7) Death Dance Since I love New York City and am a history nerd who eats crime procedurals this book was an excellent entry point to an entire series. Seriously, you can only guess the murderer in the last 2 chapters!
8) Band of Brothers As a history major, I needed to throw in a book on WWII. This is one of the better ones since it's more stories than dry stats and facts.
9) The Crying of Lot 49 This book made me so paranoid that I loved it. The pacing, the lingo, and mystery are all superb.
10) Getting the Love You Want this is a tough book but it does help you look at your life and assess patterns. Also, whoever I lent this to, please give it back!
Top 10 Albums of the Decade
Music tastes need no explanation
1) Guero by Beck
2) Parachutes by Coldplay
3) Come Away with Me by Norah Jones
4) Hello Starling by Josh Ritter
5) Fame by Lady Gaga
6) I am Sasha Fierce by Beyonce
7) Fever Ray by Fever Ray
8) Oh, Inverted World by the Shins
9) Hail to the Thief by Radiohead
10) Back to Black by Amy Winehouse
Top 10 TV shows of the Decade
1) Lost I'm now on the bandwagon now that I see that they have an endgame.
2) Buffy the Vampire Slayer this show made Tuesday nights so much fun then made me laugh, cry, and gasp. Also, vampires didn't shimmer.
3) Six Feet Under Great acting combined with great writing and HBO. What more could you ask for?
4) Battlestar Galactica The series finale sucked but wow it was so much fun getting there. This show made me proud to be a sci-fi nerd.
5) Dexter a serial killer who kills bad guys and is hot and funny. Sign me up! Season 3 was the best yet and I can't wait for 4.
6) Arrested Development hysterically funny, quotable, and mean. If you'd like to see the comedy beginnings of Michael Cera and Will Arnett, check this out. Plus, Jason Bateman is yummy.
7) How I Met Your Mother All the characters are so identifiable and funny. I can see bits of myself in each of them. I love riding along for the laughs. Also, Neil Patrick Harris is a comedy God.
8) Glee I was a gleek in high school so there is nothing but love for this show. The political machinations behind the scenes are very true to life. I imagined myself to be a Rachel Berry in high school but I was more like a Mercedes/Tina.
9) Burn Notice has anyone compiled a book of Michael Weston's spy tips? If someone has, I will buy that book! Lots of action, suspense, laughs, and drama. Plus, supporting a local boy, Jeffrey Donovan
10) Leverage - I just love modern day Robin Hoods/vigilantes (see #5). I also love great ensemble casts. Additionally, Timothy Hutton is still hot.