Saturday, February 05, 2011

Happiness Often Sneaks in Through a Door You Didn't Know You Left Open


The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance; the wise grows it under his feet.
I just realized that life has been really good lately and I have been pretty happy. There were a couple bumps getting here but I found out listening to my heart and using my brain really helped. Work was really challenging the past couple of weeks dealing with month-end and quarter-end financials. There were a couple days where I wasted hours running the wrong report. Thank goodness for the great guy who is training me! He saw me stewing in frustration at my desk and we had a good talk in a conference room that helped me a lot.

I gotta say, the people I work with are really wonderful. They don't treat me any differently since I'm a temp. It took me a bit to get the feel for the group and somehow I've clicked in easily. It definitely helped that I brought in thinkgeek catalogs - which they thought was beyond awesome. In fact, I've felt so comfy I've been able to talk about my stroke with no huge drama with my manager and co-workers. That felt a bit healing. For so long, I've felt like it's a shameful secret I needed to conceal.

I'm still not going perm but my manager just told me he'd like to extend my contract. The pay is really decent and thanks to that, a lot of worry/stress has been taken off my shoulders. Also, the company even allows temps to telecommute for blizzards! Who knew how many blizzards we'd get this winter? It is so great not worrying about skidding into snowbanks on the way to the T or killing myself shoveling out my car in the dawn hours.

Those who can laugh without cause have either found the true meaning of happiness or have gone stark raving mad.


Health-wise, things have been really good. I had days where I have fallen off the wagon and my scale says I have plateaued. But that's probably because I suck at getting to the gym. Once I mix that in, I'm sure weight will melt off. Sure the scale says nothing has changed but my tape measure and clothes tell a different story. I have a couple pairs of pants that need belts ASAP. Even people who haven't seen me for a bit mentioned that I look leaner.

Also, this isn't a Buzz campaign but I really need to gush about this product. Long-time readers know that my hair has been thinning and looking pretty crappy for a couple years. I started using L'Oreal's Everstrong shampoo and conditioner a couple months ago and the change has been great! My hair looks healthy and feels a lot thicker. Plus, the smell is awesome - rosemary and juniper. It could be the combo of products and my diet. If you have thin hair, I highly recommend this stuff:




Nobody really cares if you're miserable, so you might as well be happy

Final happy thoughts. These blizzards have helped me get to know my neighbors. My cat is totally my boyfriend now that he snuggles under the covers with me at night. My family is jam packed with great people.

No comments: