Thursday, January 02, 2014

The Home That Made You or Vice Versa?

As I have been looking into new towns and places to move to, I started wondering what type of person/life do I want to have. Do I imagine myself working out at an apartment complex gym or coming home to an air conditioned place in the middle of July or using a coin-op dryer in the communal laundry room?

I remember my place in Waltham and all the parties I threw there. My 30th birthday party was EPIC! I lived there from 2002 to 2009. Yeah sure, I had no place to park during a winter storm and the neighbors were a bit sketchy but I really liked who I was there! Here's the question: did the fact that I had a 1,000+ square foot apartment with hard wood floors influence who I was back then? Did all the space and amenities open me up as a person? Or was it my age and other factors?  I had a claw foot bathtub fer chrisakes!

On the flip side, I have been in my current apartment since October 2009 and I feel like a cramped lunatic some days. This place is barely 650 square feet. I have never thrown a party here because there would be no place to sit and in the winter, people would break something getting to my place then in the summer it's a sweat lodge. I do have parking during blizzards but I have not been able to take a bath for over four years. It's either this place or who I have become that has really limited my life.


Obviously, the bathtub is going to be a huge factor for my new place.  I would like to get back to throwing parties.  It's exciting and scary considering a new home that will see me into my forties!

Apartment Wish-list
  • Cats allowed
  • Gas or electric heat
  • Near commuter rail
  • Parking with snow removal
  • Big gorgeous bathtub
  • Laundry in apartment
  • Dishwasher
  • A hutch
  • Security lights
  • Commute to work under 20 minutes.
  • Non-smoking building
  • Involved landlord/building management




No comments: