Sunday, March 26, 2017

Elderly Parents - Welcome to Middle Age

A couple weeks ago, my 84 year old father fell in the bathtub.  He was too weak to lift himself up. He lay in the tub for six hours until my mother came home from work.  My mother was not strong enough to lift him so she needed to call 911.  On the up side, he was fully clothed and his blood sugar was not too dangerously low.

I found out about this from texts my brother sent me.  I can't imagine what was going through my dad's head as he lay there for hours.  I'm grateful that this accident had a happy ending. Sadly, it isn't the first accident with my dad. He has fallen, cut and burned himself just living in the old two story colonial my parents live in.

My mom is still working full-time and my dad is retired.  So, they are thinking of renting a one story place close to the city so my dad can live without accidents.  I don't know what their plans are for the house.  I have to say, this is a pretty genius solution and luckily my parents are healthy enough to do their rental search on their own.  Of course, me being me, I have been sending ideas to my mom. Olmsted Place looks nice and it's close to me.  Allendale could be an option if they are looking for a senior community.

No comments: