Friday, July 13, 2018

Introducing Phil the Maine Coon

This past Saturday, we picked up my 3 month old Maine coon kitten. He was a trooper as we drove home then we whisked him into his prepared safe room. I opened his carrier and he mostly stayed put looking around a bit. I hung out in the room and picked him up to calm him. 
He started to act more confident and inspected the room sitting next to the door.
 That’s when I heard Stella hissing on the other side. I shooed Phil away and spent some quality time with Stella outside of the room.  By the time I came back, he found a corner between the wall and a bookcase to wedge himself into. He just looked me and inched away every time I approached.  I tried to show him all the stuff he has in the room.  Finally, I gave him some space and time while I did stuff outside of the room.

My roommate checked on him in the evening and couldn’t find him. He had climbed under a printer stand in another corner which will be his main hidey hole for the next several days.  
Every time we’d come in to visit, he’d stay under the printer.  Overnight he mewed piteously.  The first couple of nights I got no sleep because I checked on him with each round of cries.  The third night I decided to be hardcore Ferber. I made my roommate agree to that. The next day, both her and I separately googled methods of settling kittens. He was definitely eating, peeing, and pooping which was a good sign. There was evidence that he did stuff in the room but he’d disappear when he heard us approach.  The fourth night, roomie and I ended our night playing a quiet, calm game of war in Phil’s safe room and we left a radio on low overnight. Only one big mew at 2:00AM! The next morning Phil did not disappear when I came in. In fact, he let me hold him! Today, this is him.



No comments: