Sunday, October 08, 2006

Amazing Wedding and Reception

My friend is now a Mrs. She looked beautiful and her wedding ceremony was a full Catholic mass. It was kind of fun sitting there as a potential Jew listening to the priest's coded messages in his sermon. Hmmm... I wonder what "preserving marriage" meant? Or why he kept talking about having Catholic children? It was neat not participating in Communion for a reason too. Before, I was left out because I was never baptised. Now, I am left out because I'm a Jew.

The reception was held at the Tirrell Room. It was gorgeous and the bar was open for the first hour. On top of that, I wound up sitting with a couple of old high school friends. Back in high school, I was part of a triad of gal pals. My new Mrs. friend was part of the triad and violin playing weirdo was the third person. We had a ball in high school. So, who was the first person I saw at the reception? The violin playing weirdo friend who I hadn't seen for almost a decade. At first, I didn't recognize her and when it clicked we wound up catching up a bit. Then, it turned out we were assigned to the same table.

I seriously haven't laughed so hard for a while. Sitting next to her, we fell into the same groove we had back in high school. A lot has happened to us in the intervening years and it was nice to realize we kind of stumbled along the same path seperately. We wound up being the rowdy corner of our table. As we got strange looks due to our snorting laughter, we'd tell people with a straight face that we had just met. The passed hors d'oeuvres were delicious and we gobbled them up. The bacon wrapped scallops became an obsession. We joked about how many we'd grab the next time the waitress passed. Then, we came up with the best excuse: we had a diabetic boyfriend who needs to graze to keep his blood sugar up. Oh, where is he now? In the bathroom doing a stick test. Ha!

The other high school friend at the table was one half of twin brothers a grade below us. He was involved in the music dept. and now he's married, living in CT and teaches 6th grade science. Him and I had fun making inapproproate jokes plus he's the one who observed after another eye-watering snort filled laughing fit with violin weirdo, "You two just picked up where you left off, didn't you?" I am fully aware of the irony of all this considering my snooty previous post about not changing from high school. When things got too silly, I would straighten my face into a somber expression, fold my hands on the table and mention how mature I am and then move into a snooty accent about the stock market or how I winter in Vail. Good times... One of the best compliments I got all night and almost made me cry was from violin weirdo friend she told me that I look great and haven't aged a day since high school. Aww!

I have to say, I did look great thanks to my mom lending me her collection of pashminas. I wound up wearing this soft rose colored one. Plus, I picked up some new makeup. I really have to recommend this long-lasting lipstick and this eyeliner.

Oh yes, remember how an ex-boyfriend was supposed to be at the wedding? He was one of the ushers. He was there with his fiancee. I'm telling you, I'm ALWAYs the last date before engagement. It's like a curse!

No comments: