Monday, October 30, 2006

Comics Come Home XXII

Ever since 2000, I've been attending Comics Come Home. It was where I first saw Dane Cook. Usually the show is in mid-November but this year it was held Oct. 28. In past years the show was held in the Orpheum Theater but starting last year, the show was moved to BU's Agganis Arena. The move was well-deserved. The seating is better and ticket prices are more reasonable. In years past, I usually organized a group to attend the show. But after years of dealing with people canceling on me and scrambling to find a replacement, I don't organize groups anymore. I like to keep it simple. This year my brother and I went.


Before the show we ate at the Sunset Cantina. Since I have been craving red meat, I got the BBQ steak tips. My brother copy-catted me the only difference between our meals were our sides and he ordered rare and I ordered medium. Unfortunately, my first bite was a bad cut of meat. You know what I mean. The type of meat you have to chew until your jaw gets tired and ultimately you have to swallow whole out of sheer exhaustion. Luckily the rest of the meal had good tender cuts. I also had two margaritas. Very yummy and strong. This restaurant is perfect for any show at Agganis since it's right across the street.

Our seats were pretty decent (section 110 row J). The people in our row were nice youngish folk too. The row below us had a half dozen college guys who got up every 15 minutes for beer - even during the show. Denis Leary started the show with a song making fun of Mel Gibson which was really smart. Considering how polarized people are politically, it's tricky making fun of current events. Celebrities are always fair game. The one comedian who brought down the house and basically broke me laughter-wise was Patrice O'Neil. The part of his bit that killed me was when he kept making up sexual euphemisms with horrible explanations. Imagine what "The Spiderman" or "The Zombie" could be... Steve Sweeney and Don Gavin did the same routine they've done for the past 6 years. If Mayor Menino or Ted Kennedy die, I don't think Steve Sweeney will be able to make a living anymore.

No comments: