Thursday, October 05, 2006

Jumbled Thoughts

TV
I was going to cancel my season pass for "Studio 60 on Sunset" because the first two episodes didn't hook me. But this past week's episode, "Focus Group", was a stay of execution.

The Veronica Mars season premiere was pretty good. I don't get Keith's storyline and who exactly did Cormac kill? I appreciated the shirtless Logan scene a lot and I have mucho nerd love for them referencing Battlestar Galactica's "frak".

Lost's premiere was a steaming pile of shit. I really don't need to see yet another episode of Jack yelling, Jack crying, and a Jack flashback. What is the purpose of Kate's character? Oh yes, being a point in the love triangle and taking showers. I still can't believe this show is popular considering how convoluted and unoriginal it is.

Life
Adam's birthday is this weekend and he is inviting people to spend $35 to play a citywide James Bond-esque mystery game. Sadly, I cannot attend because I have a wedding that day. But still, what the hell kind of birthday is requiring people to spend money to hang out with you?

I'm starting to hate my Hebrew class. I like the learning and the teacher is great but the main things I hate are the speed we're going and topics covered. Basically, we aren't going at any speed. It feels like we're in neutral and the teacher doesn't want to push us to learn. This is our fifth class and we're still singing the Alef Bet song! I feel like I actually learn something for 20 minutes and the rest of the 40, I space out. Also, most of the class are Born Jews and there are only a couple converts like me but for some reason the teacher feels the need to cram in some Intro to Judaism stuff into class (where we're SUPPOSED to be learning Hebrew). Seriously, I didn't need to hear an explanation of a sukkah, etrog, and lulav. I took a class for 18 weeks over the summer where I learned that stuff (which cost me $275). The Hebrew class costs $200 and we have 3 more classes left. I'll be lucky if I can read single sentence after this class!

My Thursday night class is Leadership. I have a group consisting of 4 other guys: girl pretty guy, chubby Indian guy, German young'un guy, and a fellow veteran MBA student. We have a group memo due today explaining the focus of our group project. I worked on a draft last week. Veteran MBA guy worked on the memo over the weekend and no one did anything else until today after I sent out an email saying, "Listen this is what we have to hand in. If you don't like it you can write something. I really hope this is not how we'll work on our group project!" Thankfully chubby Indian guy wrote a better memo today. I don't understand whether people are lazy or just need someone to give them instructions. Since I was the lead organizer and communicator for the first month of class, I thought I could depend on someone else to pick up the slack if I took a backseat this week. Oh well...

I have discovered a new prejudice of mine. I hate Russian students. How did I come to this conclusion? I've been in several classes with them and have noticed a commonality I loathe. They act like it's a class of one, it's the teachers duty to answer their questions even though they ask completely off-topic questions. For example, if it's Negotiations class, why waste time asking about policy decisions of the World Bank? I don't want to listen to your complaints about learning the Hebrew alphabet or your need to debate the Rabbi on some obscure point. I guess I loathe anyone who makes me waste classtime. I'm not up to my eyeballs in student loans to listen to your yapping!

No comments: