Thursday, February 08, 2007

When Acting Like an Adult Backfires

With the dis-invitation this morning, I blogged and sat stewing in my cubicle. Since I've learned from experience that blogging and stewing is not appropriate or helpful while at work, I decided to do something positive. I'm pretty close with our HR manager and I trust her so I thought it would be nice to have a little non-official HR venting and hear her opinion.

I told her my concerns and why I was so disappointed. She listened and was very encouraging then she brought up a point that I have been trying to ignore for a while. Once I get my MBA, my current position will hold me back from professional growth and there are no openings in my department (or company). She also told me that she doesn't know if creating a position for me would be possible (my hope and dream) due to budgetary concerns. She also said that since performance reviews are coming up, that would be a time to sit down with management and figure out what to do with me. Yikes! So, by the end of the month I will know if I should be looking for a new job or if my professional dreams can come true here.

Hopefully, I've made myself so useful that firing me will be too much trouble. Who will run the daily production reports, who will process invoices, and who will crunch quality control data every month? In my dream world, a position will be made for me as either an assistant quality control manager or an assistant buyer. I basically work in both departments. The flip side of nailing down my job responsibilities is that I might lose responsibility for doing something I enjoy. That's why being a department floater works for me.

Apparently acting like an adult just makes you face reality and adds things to worry about. I think next time stewing in my cubicle will work!

No comments: