Monday, March 12, 2007

Two Weekends and Two Great Movies

Last weekend, I finally got around to seeing Pan's Labyrinth. I have been a fan of Guillermo del Toro so the odds that I would like the movie were pretty high. The movie is a re-magined Alice in Wonderland set during the Spanish Civil War. Since it's a fairy tale, there are no shades of gray. Bad guys are REALLY bad and you can spot the good guys easily. The one thing I didn't like was the violence. There were many moments where I hid my eyes and groaned internally. I don't necessarily mind movie violence per se (I adore Aliens) but the type of violence in the movie was personal and you could see something bad coming a mile away. I guess I didn't like the dread of knowing I will see something awful (usually done to innocent people/children).

Yesterday, I caught Amazing Grace. It was simply fantastic - if you're the type who likes talky British historical dramas - like me. It left me inspired and a bit sad. Plus, Ioan Gruffudd makes nice eye candy. Even though the movie is about an Evangelical Christian's fight to abolish slavery, I found a lot of resonance with Judaism.

Speaking of, I went to a temple fundraiser Saturday night. It was a board game night. I learned a new game: speed scrabble. It was completely addictive and I spent the first hour playing solely that game. My entire table was addicted too. People would wander by and say in amazement "You haven't moved all night!" I did move eventually and tried to play Encore. It's a really tough game! The second you are given a word, your mind goes blank. Plus it's difficult to have multiple generations on the same team. Team sizes were ungainly (13 each) so the game got boring pretty fast as people tried to talk over each other thinking up songs.

No comments: