Thursday, March 29, 2007

Yellow Belt Testing

Last night at 7:30 I tested for my Tae Kwon Do yellow belt. We started out doing 100 jumping jacks, 50 push ups, then 50 crunches. Then, we were broken up by belt. The higher belts went in the next room and the white belts stayed to be tested on forms. I think I did fairly well on basic form but in general I know my stance should be lower.

Then, we went to the next room to get tested on our kicks. I know I messed up some of my chambering and pivots in this part. But I know my kicks. I hated this part because the people running the test were student instructors who obviously had no plan and had no idea what white belts should know. I also didn't like this part because we kicked into the air. I'm better if I have a target. We ended doing 45 jumping jacks and moved onto the next testing station.

This station was my favorite because I love the instructor who was testing and he was organized. We started off doing crunches and more jumping jacks. We did wrist breaks, footwork and kicks against a wavemaster (a kicking/punching bag tower). We did some stretching and jumping. Then one kid asked to be excused because he felt ill. He made it to the hallway when he started retching. The noise was really distracting and gross. I'm glad I didn't have to whiff anything!

Finally, we all lined up in the main room and the testing was over. It only took 1 hour and I think I did okay. All the stuff I stressed out about, the memorizing and blocks didn't come up during testing so I feel a bit foolish. I'm glad I had the experience and it's over!

No comments: