Tuesday, April 10, 2007

The Games We Played

My brother and I had 3 themes for the games we played when we were little. The theme that my brother hated was "Family". I arranged our dolls and action figures into families and had them interact. Usually Rainbow Brite was a mom. We also played "Mermaids" where we put socks on the ends of our dolls and had my brother's bed be the island. This game didn't last long because our arms got tired from all the air swimming. The final theme was the longest running and most successful, "Spaceship". We'd connect all my brother's furniture with planks to make the spaceship. The bed was the bridge and we always had a bar with Snoopy as the bartender (I blame Star Trek or our budding alcoholic tendencies). Super Pickle usually was the captain. We had these cardboard bricks that we half took apart for spacecraft. I can't really remember who was the enemy but I always liked having a regular pilot go rogue - either Buddy Blue or Red Butler.

Of course we played with Star Wars action figures. We had the B-wing ship, Dagobah complete with foam swamp, and Endor speeders. The speeders had a button that made them come apart and over time the button got so sensitive, the speeder couldn't stay together. We also had C3PO with removable limbs. Of course we lost a leg. One time we heard a rumor that there was an Anakin Skywalker action figure under the helmet and robe on the Imperial Guard action figure. It wasn't true but we tried our hardest to rip that action figure apart. We were practical children so if we had a damaged toy, that could act as carnage for battle scenes.

No comments: