Monday, April 23, 2007

My First Wine Tasting Party


Saturday night, I went to an Australian wine tasting party at my friend's place in Roslindale. Since this was my first tasting, I had no idea what the procedure or rules were. I just knew I had to bring two bottles of the same wine. I went in wanting to win. I have no idea how a wine tasting brought out my competitive side but it did. Win what? Win for best adjectives?

The party kit is simply amazing. The booklets and handy adjective guide were amazing. Yeah, I lost my vocabulary by bottle 2. We started with whites. I'm a white fan so there wasn't really anything I disliked. But I must say, there are only so many adjectives you can use with whites but with reds it's like a continual surprise. I learned that sniffing the wine with your mouth open is very informative. Also, mixing wines with cheeses can drastically alter the taste. For music, we listened to Comcast's TV big band station. Since Mel Torme was played a couple times, we discussed "Night Court" which lead to an 80's TV walk down memory lane. I had the first wine I hated with the reds. The adjectives I used were meaty and leathery. Blech!

We ended the night with a yummy cake and watching "Ferris Bueller's Day Off". Plus, each of us got a bottle of wine to take home!

1 comment:

Sarah said...

i bought one of my friends that exact same kit for christmas! i'm glad it's so fun!