Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Cure Worse Than Condition

I developed seasonal allergies a couple years ago. Late spring into summer is the worst season. I haven't been able to figure out which pollen I react to. It was a little ridiculous how I found out that I have allergies. For a couple months, I got really bad vertigo and heart palpitations. I wasn't too concerned until it started happening while I drove. So, I spoke to my doctor. Since I had a stroke and have a heart implant, any medical weirdness puts my doctor on defcon 3 alert level. He had me wear a holter monitor for a week.

My heart wasn't doing anything when I felt the vertigo so with that ruled out, he sent me to a ENT doctor. They ran a bunch of tests and found out that my ears were completely filled with fluid - hence the vertigo. My PCP prescribed me Allegra. The drug works but my God, the side effects are HORRIBLE!

I'd take dizziness any day over the mood swings, nausea, back pain, and general lethargy. I feel like it takes a lot of effort just to focus my eyes. Last night I couldn't fall asleep due to wheezing breaths that caught in my throat which lead to violent coughing fits. I coughed so hard, I thought I would vomit. After this week, I will only take Allegra as needed, not on a daily basis.

No comments: