Thursday, May 24, 2007

I'm Actually An Adult Now

I came to this realization last night as I was driving home from celebrating Mom's birthday with the family. How did this realization hit me? It happened in stages.

I shared an idea that has been marinating in my brain with my dad. He listened to it and might possibily act on it. After I told him my idea, I backed off on selling it with a bunch of self-deprecating talk, "I know I have a lot of ideas that don't appeal to you..." and "Just tell me if I'm way off base..." He shut that talk down and even built on my idea! He shut me down in a really awesome way. He told me that he respects my ideas and I have really good insights.

We ordered out for dinner and my dad asked me to call it in. That simple request has a history of pissing me off since I was a teen. But, I understand now why my dad doesn't like calling in orders (he has an accent and he is hard of hearing) and my job is calling in vendor orders. So, it made sense to me and I wasn't pissed off.

At the end of the evening, my dad asked my opinion on something. The question got my idea generator brain revving. He asked me on purpose! Because he knows I can get information and he respects my opinions. I don't know whether it was getting a Master's degree shifted the tide or Grandma's death but who cares? My parents consider me an adult now.

No comments: