Thursday, May 31, 2007

To Teach or Not to Teach

Yesterday, I was having a little informal chitchat with the HR manager. She had been out of the office for the past couple of weeks and the last time we talked, I was crying on the phone about how my Grandma died. It was that kind of catching up.

Since we got to talking about my MBA, we talked about my future plans. I was pretty circumspect and non-committal in my responses (since I have been interviewing for jobs). She suggested that I get into teaching. She isn't the first person to suggest that. In fact, I have been actively avoiding the teaching profession all my life. I feel like I have been dodging the "You should teach." obstacle course all my life. Both my parents are professors and the thought of me going into teaching seems too pat and ridiculous, like teaching is genetic. I have had some informal teaching experience as a music director for a summer theater in college. I enjoyed it a lot and was able to teach "Annie Get Your Gun" and "42nd St." to a chorus of kids.

Now, with MBA in hand, I'm looking for my next career step. Whether that will be working a corporate day and teaching evening business classes, or just a straightforward 9 to 5 corporate job, is to be seen. After some late night brainstorming with my mom, I have been feeling a bit better about embracing my inner educator. Yet today I got an interview appointment for tomorrow for a regular 9 to 5 corporate job. It's pretty funny how life works, huh? Embracing one career avenue, while the current avenue picks up a bit and gets enticing.

No comments: