Monday, June 25, 2007

Superhero Weekend

I finally caught up on movies this weekend. I saw Spiderman 3 and Superman Returns. Here is what I thought. Skip reading this post if you haven't seen the movies.

Spiderman 3 was decent. This franchise has gotten me trained to enjoy the introduction of new villians. In this movie, we got two! One bit it and the other learned the error of his ways (which bodes well for a reappearance). The love story was completely atrocious I blame the writing and Kirsten Dunst. She just hits two emotions throughout the movie: downtrodden and terrified. I also noticed a lot of unnecessary movie padding. Did we really need to see the Saturday Night Fever homage? Plus, what was the point of casting for Gwen Stacy if she disappears halfway through the movie?

Superman Returns was at first confusing and disappointing. Confusing because I had no idea what the timeline was supposed to be. It is 5 years after the last Christopher Reeve's Superman (3?) It was disappointing because I really like Margot Kidder's Lois Lane. She had an edge and spirit. But in Superman Returns, Lois is a mother and her "spirit" translates into nagging throughout the whole movie. Kevin Spacey was pretty good as Lex. I enjoyed all his bad wigs. Just a tip for moviegoers, if you see James Marsden in a movie, know his character will never get the girl. That is his acting niche. Brandon Routh looked enough like Christopher Reeves, I was pleased. He wasn't required to act too much. The effects of kryptonite was handled inconsistently throughout the movie so that was a little confusing. I would definitely check out the next Superman movie (especially with the whole son angle).

No comments: