Friday, June 08, 2007

Urge to Throttle Rising

The other half of my paycheck has been overnighted to me today but accomplishing that required jumping over some hurdles and not killing or breaking down in tears. Basically, I was not paid for the five days I took for bereavement leave. When I called in after my Grandma died, the HR manager told me to take five days.

Yet, the receptionist coordinates time sheets. She was the first person I spoke to when I noticed a problem with my paycheck. She gave me contact info for payroll. That info lead down a dead end so I spoke to the HR manager who has a higher up contact who got my paycheck overnighted.

Then, I had to deal with the receptionist trying to cover her ass by telling me that I should have only taken 3 bereavement days. It didn't matter that I told her the HR manager told me to take 5. She roped in 2 other co-workers to agree with her as we stood at the reception desk. I was on the verge of tears so I asked the HR manager who told me 5 days were right. As I went back to my cubicle, I informed the receptionist, "It's always fun to justify the time you take to grieve."

No comments: