Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Y DNA Don't Preach



Remember how I got my mother a matrilineal DNA map for her birthday? I decided to do the same for my father but for his Y DNA. My mom's map had hits all over Europe, ranging from Poland to Portugal. Here is my dad's results. One hit. Pretty anticlimatic, eh? I think the lack of hits is linked to the fact that my dad is from Hungary. It's a former Eastern bloc country that has been struggling economically. So who would have the interest and money to submit their DNA in Hungary? The hit in Italy is intriguing though. I knew I had an Italian great great great grandmother but to have male DNA is a surprise. Here is something else the report had to say "Some customers’ matches are few and geographically very close together; other customers’ matches are more widespread. The deviation expresses how widespread your Y-DNA type is. As a general rule, a wide distribution means that your Y-DNA type is ancient and has had many thousands of years to spread. A geographically close distribution on the other hand would indicate you have a young Y-DNA type, with its defining mutation having occurred only a few thousand or hundred years ago. The origin of your young Y-DNA type is then probably not far from the geographic centre." Are we Roman?

No comments: