Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Soliciation Scam (s)

When I got home from running errands last night, I was greeted by one of those door-to-door donation solicitors. She was really nice and had an interesting pitch about MA leading the environmental movement. I'm a sucker for these kinds of pitches because I used to work for Clean Water Action in college. When it came down to it, I had no cash on hand so I left my name on the sign-up sheet and asked for the organization's URL. My plan was to investigate the non-profit through Charity Navigator before donating money. Sure enough, the URL I was given was bogus and no such non-profit is listed with Charity Navigator. Just a warning to be wary before donating money!

Part II
I had a co-worker who is deaf and has a hearing dog. This dog was having medical problems and my co-worker was being laid off. So, my company raised money to help pay for the dog's medical care. Guess what? My co -worker just bought a new 2007 motorcycle. Makes me sick...

No comments: