Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Agony and The Ecstasy

To sum up, I had several humiliating screw ups during Tae Kwon Do testing last night and I ended on a really awesome note.

Screw-ups:
- I tried to wear a bandana to testing. Apparently that isn't allowed so I borrowed an elastic from a classmate. Did I mention that I have short bobbed hair? So, going in I had already been thrown off my game.
- I messed up on the meaning of Tae Kwon Do. I knew the meaning but didn't realize the order of words mattered.
- I reversed the punch combination for a drill and the instructors had to tell me over a dozen times until I got it.
- I messed up on the slide up hook kick and jump front kick. I mixed the slide up with another kick we had learned so it had way too many steps and my hook kicks were shabby. The jump front, I accidentally did a jump roundhouse.

The Kick Assery:
- I did basic form with my eyes closed perfectly.
- My Il Jang was pretty good.
- I NAILED my forward stance for Ee Jang.
- Self defense was solid and I actually wound up hurting an instructor when he tried to pull a fast one on me. He started punching with the unexpected hand after a bunch of drills and since it was unexpected I kicked into a real world power TKD response Two knife hand blocks and a jab in the voice box left him coughing and gasping.

I know that there's a bunch of criteria for testing so I don't have to be 100% on everything all the time. The intangibles are respect, perseverance etc. I think I'm probably at least 8/10 on those. Self defense I'm definitely 10/10. Kicks are still hit or miss so I'm probably 5/10. I think I should get extra help. It's like what I imagine what I'm doing is not what my body does. Forms lack power but I have the movements down so that's 7/10. If I do get my green belt, I probably just squeaked by.

No comments: