Friday, March 07, 2008

The Creative Fire

When I was younger, I used to write "books", compose music, and sketch/paint. I just did it for fun as a a hobby. There was basically no focus or stress over each project. I'd just float from my writing to composing and end the day doodling something. As an adult, blogging and singing in chorus are my main creative outlets.

But something happens when I read about an artist or see a movie about an artist. Years ago, I had been delaying writing my graduate school application essays until I saw "The Hours". Something about endless scenes of people writing flipped a switch in me so I wrote all my essays in one sitting. The movie Pollock had a similar effect on me. Just watching Project Runway gets my mind whirring with clothing ideas. Luckily, I can't sew and am lazy.

This tendency and the fact that I'm still looking for a job has gotten me thinking. Maybe I need another creative outlet? Also, maybe the books I wrote as a teen aren't all crap and could use a dust off? A lot of creative vehicles are hit or miss for me. I'm better at sketching than painting. I'm also good at combining music and visuals. When I walk through a crafts store and see bolts of fabric, I feel an inner itch to create something. On the vaguely morbid and practical side, if we are headed towards the second Great Depression it might be good to know how to sew.

No comments: