Monday, March 10, 2008

The Job Conundrum

So, this is my second week at my temp job and I've learned a lot. My plan for temping was just earning money while I looked for a real job. But once I come on-board with a company, I fall in love with all the newness and endless possibilities I start imagining myself permanently working there. It's not just the newness, it's also a part of me which HATES wasting time so I have to rationalize that there's a point for learning new computer systems, meeting people, and figuring out driving routes. Yeah, yeah I know time = money but I'm still struggling.

Job Pros
Diverse daily job tasks
Work calls upon my strengths (systems, troubleshooting etc)
The temp pay is fab
Awesome boss
Gaining lots of skills

Job Cons
60 mile daily commute
Company is going through a hiring freeze
Company in a volatile industry
Daily tasks are very simple to the point where I feel like a data entry clerk


So far, it's not soul crushingly bad but there are definite cons. Again, this is just week 2 so I should make sure my opinions are in parenthesis until I'm here for a bit more. There is also the risk of staying too long. Sigh... SOMEONE HIRE ME!

No comments: