Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Broad Brush

I like to think I am open-minded and willing to change my opinions. But with repeated good or bad experiences, I tend to categorize. This is my disclaimer for the following.

Groups/People I Get Along With
- Engineers: hands down some of my favorite people ever. We get each other. It's the cool balance of analytical and creative that resonates with me. Plus, people who wind up being engineers usually were nerds (or are) so we have the nerd self deprecation and humor down pat.

- Hungarians: it pays to have ancestors from the "war torniest"* country. Proud? Yes. Hard working? Of course! Also, a language that is mysterious. Hungarian is part of the Finno-Ugric language family and only is barely related to Estonian. It is like an alien language. I should know because I've been trying to learn it for years. It's nice to see Hungarians' eyes light up when they see my bizarre last name. I know my own eyes light up when I meet a Kovacs.

- Indians: my best friends throughout my life have had parents or are from India. Maybe it's the awesome accent or delicious food that makes me feel at home and comfortable. I don't know, I just enjoy the company and wind up being friends with Indians. It's very cool.

- Jews: duh, one of the deciding factors in my conversion. Granted, I have encountered asshole Jews here and there but in general it's usually smooth sailing. Some of my best boyfriends ever and also my best friends.

- Red heads: my mom is a red head so it's like when I see a red head I sigh with relief. The zaniness, the sense of humor, the temper, and freckles. What's not to love? The first guy I fell in love with, half my family (God bless recessive genes), and my freshman year roomate. A long legacy.

- Professors: it's totally genetic and also growing up under the whole publish or perish mantra. The funny thing about talking to professors is throughout the conversation you can tell that you have come upon a favorite topic when they switch into lecture mode. Lecture mode is when it's totally one-sided and all you can do is nod, pay attention and follow-up with questions or you can mockingly ask them, "So, I guess that's your new article topic, huh?" Oh yeah, I do not handle professorial egos delicately but it's all in good fun with a hint of comraderie and sympathy.





*Courtesy of Stephen Colbert who is also part Hungarian.

No comments: