Friday, April 11, 2008

This Week's Drama

I have a love/hate relationship with staffing agencies. I appreciate their advice and I like how they cut down on the number of interviews to land a job. It took me one interview to get my current (temp) job. Usually, I get along really well with staffing representatives because when I meet with them, there isn't too much pressure to say the right thing and in fact honesty is the best policy with them!

But I do have one staffing rep who is looking for jobs for me that I LOATHE. She gives crappy advice, I don't hear from her for months on end and then she acts all bitchy to me that I find a job without her help. She's an absolute beast. But, beggars can't be choosers, right?

Wednesday she did one of her patented drop out of nowhere communiquees except that it was extremely urgent. So, I call her. She has found me a potential job that would give me 1/3 of my current commute and pays a lot more at a growing company. Yet, it was another temp position. I was about to turn it down and then the beast hit the mark with a snivling comment, "Huh, even though it pays you $10 more per hour?" Of course, any out of work person is extremely stressed and worried about money so, this remark did the trick. My no turned to yes.

I felt nauseous. I hate being asked to make a decision quickly where I have no power to influence the outcome. I called my dad from work just to vent and weigh pros and cons. It seemed like I would have to make a decision within 24 hours. The rest of the day, I went over and over the decision, weighed as many possibilities as I could imagine, freaked out to other family members and barely got 4 hours of sleep that night.

Thursday morning, I got the call that the company isn't interested in me. Argh!! Thank you for the stress, the unrealized hope of making more money, and generally being an asshole. Just wondering, is there a way to switch staffing representatives within a firm?

No comments: