Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Jon and Kate Plus OCD, Passive Aggression, and Whoring Out Family

Okay, I know every blogger and their mom has written about TLC's "Jon and Kate Plus 8" show. So I guess I need to join the herd.

Every once in a while, my uterus goes in overdrive on babies and all things cute so it takes over my TV remote. I used to flip between Animal Planet and "A Baby's Story". Then in my flipping I came across "Jon and Kate Plus 8" and I got suckered in by the sextuplets cuteness. The cuteness kept me hooked but over time I fell out of love with the show for several reasons.

1. Kids get messy and half the fun of being a kid is getting messy. Kate's insane need for order and tidiness gets wearing and will probably psychologically damage her children. They can't play with markers, eat chocolate or ice cream in public or chew gum thanks to their mother and her fear of laundry.

2. Passive Aggressive comments get tiring. I have no idea why Jon and Kate are still married considering the constant digs they take at each other. If you have something nasty to say, just say it. Rather than using your own children as recipients of rude observations about your spouse.


3. I know the show helps the family to make money but I can't get past this dirty feeling that the show will ultimately hurt the children. No moment in their lives is sacred. Case in point is Mady. She has been labeled as the difficult child but such labeling ignores and trivializes her feelings. Maybe she acts out because she doesn't want to be on tv? Or maybe she acts out because she has been marginalized by the sextuplets show? Regardless, assuming it's just sibling rivalry or saying that it's "Mady just being Mady" is unfair and poor parenting.

Basically, the show is horrible and has become a litany of publicity stunts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

AMEN, I wanted to scream at the television this past Monday when they went to decorate cupcakes....or should I say when Kate freaked out about the thought of them getting frosting on their clothes....OH MY GOODNESS....it is just frosting. Okay, I do not have 8 children....I do however, have a 4, 2,and 6 month old with another one due in 5 months. I am busy. I am a stay at home Mom. Isn't laundry and dirty kids part of the gig. America, stop making this women out to be saint and Please, Kate for the love, LET THEM GET DIRTY. Okay, I am off of the soapbox.