Monday, January 25, 2010

2010 Back Around Again

Swine flu was no walk in the park. It took me about a week to recover and then I developed some breathing problems. It could have been pneumonia but luckily it's just asthma so now I have an inhaler. It is so nice to be able to breathe freely again! I named my inhaler Mitzi.

I was ready to go back to work last Friday but my boss told me I had to wait until today because she needed to meet with me. The glass half empty part of me started worrying and telling myself that I am in trouble about something. But the glass half full part of me tried to talk me down and told me that it's probably some kind of extended illness paperwork or a welcome back party.

I got next to no sleep last night and when I got into work, it wasn't a party. There wasn't paperwork. It was just me, my boss, and the VP of the dept. The upshot is that I got into work at 7:30 AM and I was home by 8:15 with a bag of my stuff from my desk. The word fired hasn't been used but I feel pretty fired! I'll get the official word by tomorrow.

Today has just been a numb blur. I do admit that I made a huge mistake but it would have been avoided if training had been consistent. The mistake was that I listened to a co-worker who trained me on a task and said, "It's not a big deal. Just check on these accounts every couple of months." Yeah, that was wrong and it cost me my job (probably). So this is my third round of unemployment in 3 years. I hope the next job sticks!

Also, I do have to admit that this firing was in the works for weeks but my boss delayed it so I could recover from swine flu and have health insurance. That was incredibly decent of her and is appreciated.

No comments: