Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Current Events Affecting The Little Guy (Gal)


I lost my job at the end of January. I got the prerequisite packet of COBRA continuation of benefits info. Even with Federal Assistance, there was no way that I would have been able to afford COBRA. My parents had offered to help with health insurance but I wanted to be able to afford it on my own.

So, I learned that my PCP accepts Network Health. I checked them out and they looked affordable and amazing. So I applied. It has been 3 months and am I insured? Nope! Network Health is partnered with MassHealth so I had to apply with them first and that is where my application was lost in a black hole. Every time I call, I am told to call in a week. I can't get any straight answers and my application has already taken 3 months. If it takes any longer, I would owe a tax penalty on next year's filing.

Fed up yesterday after my millionth "Oh just call next week." phone call, I decided to swallow my pride, accept my parents help, and get real health insurance. I've had to see a doctor for months but I've held it off for MassHealth. Guess what else happened this past week? This. I read about the ruling in the paper and had no idea how it would impact health insurers in this state.

The impact is that I can't get any rate quotes. The only company still providing rate quotes is Blue Cross. So I decided to swallow the huge deductible and apply. Harvard Pilgrim was the absolute rudest insurer I called so I was really happy that I got to say, "Okay, I'll just go with Blue Cross." before I hung up. I have been 100% pro Universal Health care all my life. But my recent experiences with MassHealth has instilled distrust in government run programs. On the up side, I'll finally be able to see my doctor next month to check my thyroid. I might have Hashimoto's syndrome.

No comments: