Monday, January 03, 2011

Dick Clark Isn’t Trying to Bum You Out


I was surrounded by a lot of nasty comments at work this morning about Dick Clark’s appearance on Dick Clark's New Year's Rockin' Eve. For example, “Ugh, why does he even bother showing up? You can’t understand him…. He sounds like a stroke victim all slurry and awful…” I couldn’t keep quiet so in response to just a couple people I told them that I had a stroke ten years ago and that speech is the hardest thing to get back. I also pointed out that Dick Clark probably has this one thing to look forward to each year. A goal and something to keep him going.

Granted, I haven’t been able to watch his New Years special for quite some time because I wind up sobbing and who wants to start a new year that way? I had a stroke ten years ago at age 24. It took me over a year to get my speech back to somewhat normal and I still have stroke deficits. Dick Clark had a stroke five years ago at age 76 so imagine how much harder his recovery must be. I know I can’t change all hearts and minds about what’s appropriate for stroke survivors to participate in. I also understand that stroke deficits are very scary and upsetting to others but imagine what it is like having to deal with them on a daily basis! How frustrated and useless a stroke survivor can feel. So, I say, let’s give Dick a break and be happy that he has this one big thing to look forward to each year. Dick is an inspiration and is ALIVE people!

No comments: