Sunday, October 06, 2013

Adventures in Chronic Pain

Hello all, a new injury has cropped up from my car accident.  Recap:  on January 25, 2012 I was hit by an 81 year old running a red light.  He did this to my car

And this to me:


I was in physical therapy for 9 months addressing muscle and nerve damage.  What happened to my chest was only diagnosed this Spring.  I have costochondritis and intercostal neuropathy.  Which basically means some of my ribs were stretched off of my sternum from the force of impact so their attachment to my sternum is wobbly and all the nerves along those ribs were inflamed.  I had three rounds of injections into my sternum to deal with the pain.

Then, I had to go to the ER this past summer with my back muscles spasming so badly I could not breathe.  I got injections into my back muscles to unknot them and got a referral to a chiropractor.  It was my first time ever seeing a chiro and I know some of my friends swear by them.  I had tried reiki, cupping, and acupuncture so why the hell not?  The first session went well but it was kinda scary hearing your body make those cracking sounds!

The second adjustment set off something in my neck.  I knew something was wrong immediately after my session.  My arms felt like the nerves were being put through a meat grinder and I had a migraine from hell.   Things settled down afterwards except my left arm.  It falls asleep, goes numb or has shooting pain/pins and needles.  My doctor thinks I have an impinged nerve in my neck.   I can't get a MRI to see until I am bedridden in screaming pain because insurance won't cover it.  For now, I need to sleep in a neck brace, take NSAIDs three times a day, and apply heat twice a day.  I also have to baby my left arm.

Now, I'm trying to figure out what I'll do for snow removal in the winter.  I have had to modify my life so much from these goddamn injuries so dealing with yet another one is disheartening.

I really wish I could get a MRI now so I can know what's going on in my neck because I do not want it to get so bad that I am screaming in pain or medicated to the gills.  I'm not a wuss, I can handle pain but the fear of pain messes with my head!  Car accidents are really the gift that keeps giving.







No comments: