Sunday, November 24, 2013

* Falls...No More


There will be spoilers for the Doctor Who 50th anniversary special here.  So, be warned.  


I have been a huge science fiction nerd all my life probably because it appeals to the dreamer in me and also made me feel less alone growing up.  Ha!  Yes, being less alone as in being the only teen girl in a comic book shop.  But who cared?  I was surrounded by my friends on the pages.

Then, I became an adult and still loved sci-fi and fantasy.  I liked the idea of people who are more powerful than us who can do extraordinary things.  On the cusp of adulthood, I didn't have a Wonder Woman, Rick Hunter, Buffy, Han Solo, or Chrestomanci around to save me.  So, I fought to survive while I was seething with rage at God or the world.  How dare they damage my brain, take who I thought I was away, and leave me alone without dreams?

The day after my 37th birthday, on the cusp of middle age,  I watched the Doctor Who special.  I have recovered without the Doctor or Obi Wan.  But, I would be lying if I claim to never have wondered what I would do with a Tardis.  Would I try to wipe out the events that have made me who I am today?  Would that be showing ingratitude?  I haven't had 400 years of regret, just 13.  I don't think I would change anything because what the War Doctor said that regret can save people.  Regret let me do this:



But I do know people who have been irreparably changed and are struggling with what the world is now for them.  That's why I cried as the Doctors saved Gallifrey.  For some people, there is no Gallifrey, Undying Lands, or Alderaan. All of us just have to strive to be "Never cowardly or cruel. Never give up, never give in.”

Another regret of mine can help you. On your automobile insurance policy, check part 2 "personal injury protection". Lower your deductible as much as possible.  My deductible was $8,000 when I got hit by a car so that meant I was liable for $8,000 of my own medical bills.





On a different note, we got to see Doctor #12's eyes!  I squealed with delight.  So looking forward to Peter Capaldi.







No comments: