Tuesday, October 03, 2017

Rasputin Has Cancer

I found out last Friday that the tumor in his mouth is a fibrosarcoma. The vet sounded as upset as I was when she told me the news.  His prognosis really depends on staging his cancer.  If it has spread beyond his mouth, he’s got months left to live. If it’s localized, the tumor is very reachable so surgery is an option.  Some sites give the survival rate range as 3 months to 4 years. I got him low dose pain medication to take the edge off.  This Friday he’s getting X-rays and October 18 I’m seeing a surgeon (with my room-mate) so we can discuss options.

It has been an emotional roller coaster. I was in tears when I got the news but as the day wore on, I felt calmer because there’s a plan of action and the owner guilt evaporated. I spent lots of snuggle time with him this weekend. The sadness and panic comes in waves.  I was fine most of this weekend but when he climbed on my stomach Sunday night as I was settling down to sleep, I started crying petting him.  For all his life, my body has basically been a giant jungle gym to him so not having his weight purring on me will be hard.  He started gently pawing my face as tears slid down my cheeks because he’s a kind wonderful cat.  When I am not sad or worried, I’m just exhausted with this ache in my chest.

My family, friends, and co-workers have all been awesome and supportive which helps a ton.  I like to think about the loving energy pouring towards Rasputin hopefully sustaining and healing him.

No comments: