Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Tough Weekend


Rasputin has been going through a lot lately.  He had a dental procedure August 11 to have teeth cleaned, some extracted, and abscess treated.  By the way, caring for your cat’s dental hygiene is a real important health task!  It isn’t a scam by vets to suck more money out of us and just because you never had to do it for your family cat growing up, doesn’t negate its importance. Unfortunately, I did not make teeth brushing a routine with Rasputin.  

He seemed to be doing a lot better after the dental procedure – eating a lot and playfulness coming back.  But the last couple weeks his drool has gotten worse, the left side of his face swelled up and he had been hiding in my closet sitting in a puddle of his own mucus. I took him to the vet September 16 and he had an infection near one of the excision sites. The white thing I thought was a tiny tooth was pus.  He got a shot of antibiotics and clearance to eat two cans of food a day since he lost two pounds in four weeks.  The shot and more food daily perked him up and I could see his face reducing back to normal size. I had a follow up this past Saturday and he has a tumor in the top left side gum. I was shown it and it came out of nowhere in a week!  The vet biopsied it and now I am waiting to hear the results.  If it’s benign, it’ll be an easy removal procedure.  If it’s malignant, he will probably not live too long. Thank goodness I took my room-mate with me to the appointment! I broke down crying discussing options. She helped me think through what to do next and stop blaming myself.

In a very health coping move, I drank a ton of wine Saturday night.  Sunday, I had plans to go apple picking with a cousin and her family.  Sunday was also ninety degrees and humid. It wasn’t completely horrible but I should have had an actual breakfast other than water and aspirin.  I love my cousin’s kids and her mom so I was having fun with trickles of sweat everywhere.  What I did not like was my cousin’s husband snapping and being nasty to her for every little thing. She sat there and took it looking exhausted. I was sad and angry on her behalf but did I do anything? Nope. I sat in the passenger seat with this pit in my stomach and froze. When my dad was like that with my mom, I knew when we got home I would be beaten.  So, that was where my fight or flight response was at on the ride to and from the orchard. They might have had a fight before I showed up.  Plus, it was a boiling hot day of apple picking with a 7 year old and 6 month old so that could be wearing on the calmest person. I hope she’s okay and it was just an aberration…

No comments: