Sunday, April 22, 2018

Walking Wounded



I’ve had this nagging discomfort in my lower right side for almost a year now. In the beginning it was a low level throb or twinge around my right hip.  It didn’t limit me or cause me a lot of concern. In the past month, this discomfort has moved into pain territory.  It hurts in bed, it hurts while I sit at my desk, when I drive, and when I walk anywhere.  It got so bad, a couple weeks ago, I went to the ER. I got IV fluids and a contrast dye cat scan. I also had to deal with an asshole doctor who didn’t listen to me. The nurses were awesome.  In discussion with my PCP, we had a couple theories.  Endometriosis, herniated disc, or low potassium. What that meant was I had a blood test, X-ray, and transvaginal ultrasound. My uterus looks fine, I do have some narrowing between discs but nothing herniated, and my bloodwork is normal. Fuck, fuck, fuck. Fed up with Western medicine, I have booked an acupuncture appointment this weekend.

On the heels of all this, I haven’t taken the T in a month. I can barely deal with my commute on good days. Add in pain and exhaustion, I wouldn’t be able to quietly suck up being hit by backpacks, shoved, and twisting around people for a handhold. Barely anyone gives up a seat to a person on crutches so good luck asking for a seat when not bleeding from an orifice.  Lyft has gotten me to and from work with only a couple hiccups.  On the plus side, I get to meet a new person and have interesting conversations.  On the negative side, my bank account hates me.

I have a couple new theories on the pain cause - gout, B12 deficiency, or strained psoas muscle.  Maybe I can find a magical pain doctor who can hunt this down?

1 comment:

George said...

Interesting story... I think you should go through to a chiropractor for your complete examine.