Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Farewell Childhood Home

This has been sitting in drafts for a while...

My childhood home's sale was closed today [July 31].  My parents lived together there for forty-four years. My dad lived there longer (with his first wife). It was a center entrance colonial built in the 1920's. The plans are to tear it down in September and build another soulless McMansion. Upside - my mom will have a nice retirement cushion.

Last night [July 30], we had a toast and farewell to the house telling stories and saying goodbye to rooms. The house changed a lot over the years. The study was an enclosed porch when I was little and we didn't have a second bedroom until I had moved out in my twenties. Part of the basement was my mom's pottery studio back in the 80's. We have four family cats buried in the backyard. Our first cat Miklos who got hit by a car the froze to death, KC got hit by a car as well, Max just died from old age (17), and Rasputin who died from cancer. We were all in tears at different points. It feels like mourning dad's death all over again plus this un-mooring in my life. I always had that house as a back-up if things went bad. My mom's place doesn't allow cats so I'll be fucked.


No comments: